Annually, Day Eight, publishers of Bourgeon, solicits applications for the DC College Student Arts Journalism Challenge, and selects three finalists from the entrants. All three finalists have their work published in the magazine, and receive written feedback from the panel of professional critics. One winner is selected, and the award includes a cash prize of $250 dollars.
Entries are accepted by email only to: email@example.com.
Guidelines for Entrants
Eligibility: Undergraduate students currently enrolled in college or university in the District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia.
- Only one submission per person.
- There is NO FEE to enter the competition.
- Submission must be between 500 and 1500 words in length.
- Submission must be sent in one of the following file formats: .doc, .docx, .pdf
- Submission must be received at firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered.
- Any piece of arts journalism created for any reason in the competition calendar year may be submitted for this competition, including criticism, opinion, editorial, and history.
- Any performance, gallery show, exhibit, reading, or other artistic product, in any location, may be the focus of an article. Artwork or performances covered don’t have to have occurred in the District, but must be verifiable (i.e. you can’t write about a made up performance or event.
To read some Frequently Asked Questions, click here.